Monday, June 25, 2007

23 things #5


(Photo caption: Flickr artist photosfromonhigh)


I've explored flickr and found that just about anything imaginable is out there. I even found a photo of myself from a library event.

As I was exploring I came across a number of photos of a rock quarry/sculpture garden located in the Catskill Mountains in Upstate New York. My dad used to take the family there when I was a child. The place is really cool. From the Opus 40 website, "The work is an immense composition of finely fitted stone, rising in ramps and swirling terraces around pools and trees and dfountains out of the rock bed of an abandoned bluestone quarry. It spreads out over more than six acres. It is the product of more [than] thirty-seven years of a man's life. His name was Harvey Fite. He worked alone, using his hands and traditional quarryman's tools, while building his masterpiece: Opus 40." Vistors can tour the site, enjoy an evening concert series, or even get married at Opus 40 (my cousin actually did - right in front of the monolith). For more information on Opus 40, visit the wesite at http://www.opus40.org/.

So what does this have to do with technology? Well, it demonstrates the power of one person to accomplish incredible feats if they put their mind to it and work at it. So, if Mr. Fite could create this incredible site, I should be able to complete this Library 2.0 project.

P.S. Thanks to Beth from beths place for helping me get the photo loaded!

1 comment:

ann said...

I was going to ask you how you were able to post photos. They are great. Thanks for directing me to Beth's Place. That's where I'm going next!